Tuesday, August 24, 2010

From Cradle to Crawling


(Esther relaxing cross-legged in her morning bath)

Summer is quickly dwindling to fall but with its advent come some good things. Namely, baseball playoffs, the return of college football (much to Sausha's dismay), and apparently babies start crawling at the beginning of fall. At least that is what ours has done. Esther, defying Dr. Spock and his incorrect and falsified research, has started crawling at 6 months rather than the prescribed age of 8 months. She has also started standing up with the support of either her crib or our coffee table which has resulted in some stellar tumbles. Today she head-butted the edge of the table and the other day she seemingly leaped from the bars on her crib and crashed into the bars on the opposite side. Both resulted in inconsolable tears; or at least tears that mom rather than dad had to brush away for her to calm down.
School has also started. Sausha is finishing up her last semester of her undergrad and I am just starting my grad program. Neither of us are excited to be in school, but we're happy that she, at least, is almost done. In an effort to save on gas and time at work I have started riding a bike to work. However, I don't have my own bike so I borrowed my dad's. When he was in law school his Fuji bike was stolen and being too poor to purchase another Fuji, he bought a Peugeot bicycle from a garage sale. The Peugeot has been along as long as I can remember and now I proudly ride it to work and to campus. I feel a little like the Miss Gulch from the Wizard of Oz riding it, but you have to make do with what you got.

Esther occasionally loves her father, as evidenced in this photo.


I'm a firm believer that, as a family, we only go swimming so Sausha can put Esther in her sun hat and cute orange slice bathing suit.


A side note from the author's wife, Jack always despairingly tells me how no one ever comments on his posts. So, comment please. Even if it is only out of pity.

By the way, Esther had her 6 month appointment last week. 15 lbs. 1 oz, 27 and 1/2 inches long.

10 comments:

Kelda said...

I know, I need to do better about commenting on blogs. K, Esther is ADORABLE!! and I can't believe she's crawling at 6 months! Insane! Crazy how different every child is. Sounds like she's a mama's girl, so is Isabel =)

Jessica said...

Oh I love the video! She's adorable and so is her swim suit. My kids didn't crawl until much later. I'm pretty sure my son didn't crawl until 10 1/2 months because he slept the first three months of his life. :)

Tina said...

Great post Jack!!! :) So pretty sure that is the cutest crawl I've ever seen! I just love her!

The Wigginton Family said...

I'm pretty sure that if Esther was my baby girl, I would go swimming everyday so that I could see her in that swimsuit. Shoot, I think her daily baths would be in the swimsuit! Talmage is just lucky that I don't dress him in one! What a cutie.

Sausha said...

I love that all of you ladies have commented! Jack is going to be beaming. I hope you all know that when I say "despairingly", Jack doesn't actually base his self-esteem off of how many comments he gets. It is more of a joke between the two of us, but he will now be able to proudly say that his post received more comments than mine usually do. :) Love you friends!

Sapp Family said...

Jack...you do an incredible job at writing/posting! You should post more often! And those darn doctors. Sometimes I wonder if they really know what they're talking about. Our little girl started crawling at 7 months, got her 1st tooth at 6.5 months, and walking at 10 months of age. It sounds like she's growing well! AimeeLynn is 27 months and only weighs 20 lbs. Her little brother got weighed yesterday and he's 15 lbs!! Its amazing how different boys and girls can be. :)

Ashley said...

Ahhh, she's so grown up!

Will said...

I've found the extra plea for comments really helps people take that extra nudge to have some initiative. I'm so happy we're getting one of those things soon! May the wedding plans begin!

Tiffani said...

You guys are probably the sole readers of our blog as well--at least the only ones that comment. I enjoyed Jack's description of the bicycle and I would like to see it. I am wondering if it is matching my mental picture. We may possibly be babysitting Ana and Bentley Saturday night. We should get together. I'll stay in touch

ID said...

Loving this! Just bookmarked you on my new computer, so will keep up a bit better! Loved seeing you today - love having you - most of all love all of you! Great posts Jack!!