Tuesday, January 5, 2010

"You gotta baby in your tummy? Is she going to be my cousin?"

Since the beginning of August I have had the fabulous opportunity of watching my nephew Royal every Tuesday. A two year old child's understanding of the world is not only sweet but also quite amusing.

This last semester Royal has had quite a few questions about my ever growing baby bump. When I told him that I was going to have a baby, he looked at me with understanding in his eyes and said, "Did Jennie give it to you?" You see, as Meredith says, to Royal every baby is Baby Chase. Chase was born last March and since Jennie is Chase's mom it would of course be natural for her to have given me my baby. When I responded with, "No...Jack gave me my baby," he peered at me with a glazed over look of confusion and said, "oh, that was nice of him. Did Jack give Jennie her baby too?" I chuckled to myself and responded, "I hope not; Morgan gave Jennie her baby."

This baby focused topic has persisted throughout the last half of my pregnancy. One Tuesday morning before Meredith and Royal had left their house upon being told that he was headed to my house he told her, "Mom, I have a baby in my belly. Uncle Jack gave it to me. That was nice of him, huh?"

When we found out that we were having a baby girl we knew immediately what her name would be. Royal was excited that his new baby cousin had a name and began asking to see, "baby Mester," and/or "baby Mustard". I guess Esther was kind of hard for him to say...but he has mastered it now.

The most recent story happened on Christmas Eve. Meredith, Zach and Royal spent the night at Meredith's sister's house. Meredith's nephew came out and reported to Meredith that Royal was one weird kid. I guess they were laying down and Royal reported to his cousin (who is probably around ten) that he had a baby in his tummy that was growing and asked if he wanted to touch it.

Point being, I love watching Royal.

4 comments:

Heebs and Britt said...

SO funny! I love little kids. They can be really funny. I see you got the green off your blog :) I missed you yesterday. I have a funny story to tell you...

Tiffani said...

It was just as good reading the story as it was hearing it right from your mouth. We are excited to see the new baby Esther when she comes.

Charlotte and Matt said...

So funny!!! I'm so excited to teach my kids where babies come from and watch the squrim with awkwardness! Ha ha!

I cannot believe that your baby is coming so soon. Proabably not soon enough for you. Lincoln came at 37 weeks and I wasn't ready at all cause I was convinced he was gonna be late. My advice... be ready for anything! Congratulations! I was so happy to see you over Christmas!

-Charlotte.

ps. I love the name Esther! Great choice!

pps. You look so fabulous. Your belly is so small! My belly is as big as yours and I'm only 3 months along. Not cool!

Tiffani said...

So I just wanted to thank you for commenting on our post. Will and I apparently aren't models like your guys'profile portrays, so we have a much smaller public. (Namely, you two.) I feel shamed that we did not share any of our chocolates. We will have you guys over soon. There are approximately25 left. (Don't worry, they're still good.)